Saturday 13 July 2013

The Big Surprise Project Revealed - Part 3

Well, after many delays along the way, I've finally (in early November) gotten into the swing of making the squares for this blanket.

Delays? How could there be delays?

Well, as I mentioned in Part 1 & 2, it took me quite a while to settle on yarns, and colour patterns for each square, and then the overall layout of the blanket, which would determine how many I would need of each square. So that took me into mid October.

Then we moved halfway across the country, so packing, organizing, cleaning, and wrapping things up took up lots of my time at the end of the month. Not a whole lot of time left for crafting, though I did try to do a bit each evening to unwind.

Leading up to the move I carefully planned which yarns (and how much of them) to bring with me in the car (rather than sending in the moving truck), because I envisioned having four days of the drive to work on this project. As I mentioned in this post, my husband loves to drive and hates being a passenger, so I thought I would have lots of time to crochet (four whole days!). So, I packed all the various colours needed for this project (that was 10 if you're keeping track) into one of my shoulder bag carrying cases, and gave up about half of my minimal leg room in the car so it could be accessible throughout the trip.

Turned out that I didn't get much chance to work on this project on the drive after all - first we decided to go a different route, which shortened the trip by a day. Then our cat was crazy for a good chunk of the trip, so that kept my hands and attention busy a lot of the time. And in the time when the cat was calm and/or sleeping, I spent a chunk of it making the animals mentioned in this post. Given how few squares I made on the trip – one, maybe one and a half? – I felt more than a little silly for bringing so much yarn with me in the car, and having very cramped leg room as a result, when a much smaller bag would have done the trick and been much more convenient.

Anyway ... we arrived in Saskatchewan at our new place about a week ago, and since then I've made more progress in terms of actual squares produced than I did in the last three months combined! I don't have a job here yet, and most of our stuff is still on the moving truck en route to us, so the unpacking is stalled for now... which leaves me with time to get into a productive pattern and really race through making these squares! I've gotten to the point where I've internalized most of the pattern for four of the five squares, and I can make the same square several at a time by batch-making each step. Here you can see I'm making four of the same square at once:


Since the truck has been delayed (the main highway through northern Ontario was completely washed out for several days), and I've become so productive, I am now extremely glad that I brought as much yarn as I did! At this rate I may well still run out of a couple of key colours before the rest of my stash gets here, so I'm very thankful I didn't leave myself with even less!

Here are all the total squares I've made in the last week alone (eleven finished, eight more at least part-way done) - not too shabby, huh?



That's it for now - keep crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment