Thursday 16 February 2012

How I Started to Crochet



I learned to crochet about 6 years ago, when I was laid up at my parents’ place after getting my wisdom teeth out. I was sore and groggy, and was sitting around for hours on end watching movies and TV - and feeling like a total waste of space. I like to have something to work on with my hands while I watch TV, but I didn’t have any current projects or tasks, so I was antsy to do something at least mildly productive. I’d grown up watching my mother knitting and crocheting, so I asked her to teach me to crochet. I’d actually learned to knit years before, but it hadn’t really grabbed me, so I figured I’d give crochet a try.

Once I learned the basics (chain stitch, single crochet and double crochet) I started making 8x8 inch squares, for a project called Blankets for Canada. The way is works is that you make 8 x 8 inch squares (knit or crochet), and then you can drop them off at donation centres (Michaels craft stores often have donation boxes, for example), then volunteers stitch them together and donate them to various shelters and agencies. I had found out about this program when I worked at the Michaels in Lethbridge, AB in University, but recently that I found out that the project actually started in Lethbridge, though it’s now spread out across the country.

I spent my recovery (which was conveniently over the Winter Break from school) making squares for Blankets for Canada, and continued to work on them over the next few months. Even today, if I want to crochet but don’t have any patterns or projects in mind (which is rare), I make another square. When I teach someone to crochet, I often set them to making squares as a good way to practice the basic techniques. As of December 2010, when I was moved, I had made and donated over 20 squares. Recently when I taught myself how to knit again, I started making 8 x 8 inch knit squares, so that I knew my practice piece wouldn’t go to waste.

So if you’re just learning to crochet (or knit) and want a great way to practice, or a simple project that doesn’t require a pattern, I recommend making some squares! Or, if you’re itching to crochet (or knit) but don’t have a project (or you don’t have the supplies you need for the project right now), this is a great project to work on because you know it’s for a great cause. Here is the basic Crochet and Knitted patterns from the Blankets for Canada website.


Knit or Crochet - What’s the Difference?
For those of you who are confused about the difference between Knitting and Crochet, here is one description:

Basically, crochet is done with 1 hook, and you only work on one stitch at a time, while knitting uses two long needles, and you hold lots of stitches on the needles at once. In both cases you’re using interlocking loops of yarn to create a fabric.

Some people are shockingly militant about the issue of Knit vs Crochet, saying one (whichever one they do, of course) is better than the other; but I think that both crafts have their own unique history, and their particular strengths and weaknesses, which I’ll go into in a later post. In many cases which one to choose to do is simply personal preference, or which one you learned first - in other cases, the type of project you want to create will dictate whether you decide to crochet or knit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment